Schramm Telemast FAQ
Why a Telemast?
- Economics of unconventional gas plays require lower cost, highly mobile, more efficient drilling rigs
- Current industry wide shortages of experienced rig hands dictate ease of operation, reliable performance and safety
- Over 200 field proven Schramm Telemast rigs in operation since 2003
What are some of the key features of the Schramm Telemast?
- Small foot print – patented Telemast retracts for short transport length, handles Range III tubulars
- All hydraulic operation – fluid power takes the hard work out of rough necking
- Fast set-up – all hydraulic leveling and mast erection in minutes
- No derrick man – LoadSafe automated pipe handler eliminates this position
- No racking board – drill pipes are stowed horizontally on hydraulic racks
- No tongs – power breakout (hydraulic roughneck) makes and breaks tool joints
- No rotary table & spinning chains – uses top head drive for make-up with rotation torque limiter and i-Control to carefully monitor and control rotation torque
- Top head drive offers the ability to rotate and circulate when coming out of the hole. This significantly reduces drag in horizontal drilling applications
- No drawworks – hydraulic feed cylinders maintain precise bit loads
- Fewer drill collars – hydraulic pull-down reduces or eliminates heavy drill collars, lessens total string weight, advances drill bit in horizontal applications
- No manual slips – holding slips are pulled and set hydraulically
- No elevators – top drive hydraulically tilts out to pick-up drill pipe
- Less over-head lifting – LoadSafe hydraulically raises and presents pipe to the top head, eliminates lifting slings and tuggers – replaces the V-Door.
- Less thread damage – floating sub cushions thread engagement
What is the capacity of the tilt out top head?
- Range II drill collars up to 5000 lbs can be handled by the tilt out top head.
What is the top head clearance?
- Distance from casing lift eyes to top of table is 53 ft (top head at max height).
What is the max fluid pressure rating?
- Current fluid pressure rating is 3000 psi max.